|ITV transmission date||26th November 1999 (Friday)|
|Script editor||Pamela Woods|
|Story editor||Mariam Vossough|
|Story associates|| Nick West|
|Previous episode||24th November 1999|
|Next episode||28th November 1999|
Curly, Ken, Fred, Nita, Alma and Ashley finally arrive at Benbury Lodge for their "Forward with Freshco" weekend. They are appalled by the basic accommodation and to find they are to be constantly assessed. Fred and Alma refuse to stay as it's like a prison camp but Curly and Nita force them to stay, saying they have to show what the Weatherfield branch is made of. Their first test is to use planks to cross a river. Nita solves the problem but Fred ends up falling feet-first into the river. Emily thinks its hysterical when Les asks her for a character reference. She tells him that he's a self-centred, conniving con-man who deserves all he gets. Curly worries that his team will let him down and he'll be fired. Driving home from a dinner, Mike and Linda are pulled over. Mike is breathalysed and arrested. The Freshco's crowd are woken at 1.30am and driven into the moors and told to make their own way back for breakfast.
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Ashley Peacock - Steven Arnold
- Alma Baldwin - Amanda Barrie
- Nita Desai - Rebecca Sarker
- Roy Cropper - David Neilson
- Hayley Cropper - Julie Hesmondhalgh
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Leanne Tilsley - Jane Danson
- Tom Ferguson - Tom Wisdom
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Gwen Loveday - Annie Hulley
- Linda Sykes - Jacqueline Pirie
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Vinny Sorrell - James Gaddas
- Les Battersby - Bruce Jones
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mark Redman - Paul Fox
- Receptionist - Sian Foulkes
- Evelyn Hunter-Rochford - Simon Molloy
- James Kitching - Nicholas Irons
- Jock MacCall - Paul Young
- PC Henshaw - Darren Johnson
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- Roy's Rolls
- Unknown street in Weatherfield
- Benbury Lodge - Exterior and lodge
- Benbury Manor - Exterior and reception
- Jim Ryan is credited as Stuntman on this episode.
- TV Times synopsis: Les asks a favour of Emily. Mike has a run-in with the law.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 14,150,000 viewers (6th place - combined figure including repeat).
Emily Bishop: "You are a self-centred, devious, conniving, out-for-all-he-can-get con man. Now how's that for a character reference?"
Les Battersby: "Well that's not exactly what I'm looking for..."
Emily Bishop: "Frankly Mr Battersby, I'm amazed you have the gall to even ask. Since you moved here you've done absolutely nothing for this community and I for one think that now that you've been caught stealing from the taxpayer, you deserve whatever punishment the court sees fit to throw at you."
Les Battersby: "I tell you what... I've obviously picked a bad time. We can talk about this again."
Fred Elliott (after falling in the water): "As soon as I saw this freezing cold river I thought 'I do hope we have a chance to go for a paddle'"
|November 1999 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Fri 5th • Sun 7th • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Fri 12th • Sun 14th • Mon 15th
Fri 19th (1 2) • Sun 21st • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Fri 26th • Sun 28th • Mon 29th