Stan can't bring himself to tell Hilda about the wedding as she is depressed that they haven't come far in life but he plucks up the courage to do so. He then goes to the Rovers and tells Len she took the news badly. Lionel tells Elsie that he misses Sandra. Val tells Ena and Minnie that Clara is taking too much on for herself in changing Albert's home but is advised to let well alone. Charlie is oblivious to Hilda's unhappiness when he collects her insurance money. She is bitter about Irma not caring about her. Hilda is sharp with David when she goes into the Rovers. Charlie is hurt when Ena says it's time he did something with his life. A thoughtful Stan fusses over Hilda when they return home. Len has a brainwave and suggests to Stan that they organise a party at the Elizabethan Rooms to celebrate the wedding and surprise the newly-weds. Jack and Annie can't sleep. Hilda disagrees with Len's plan, saying they're not wanted in the first place, but Stan persuades her otherwise. Jack demands two weeks' board and lodgings from Lucille. She tells him she'll be late back as she's visiting Sandra's new flat. Hilda questions Irma about Saturday and gets her cover story. Len tells Lionel about the wedding and he gives Irma the day off on Saturday. Len spreads the news to the other residents. Knowing about the elopement, Jack gives Irma Saturday night off work. Len goes to the rooms and books a table for eleven.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Lionel Petty - Edward Evans
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Charlie Moffitt - Gordon Rollings
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and front bedroom
- Corner Shop
- Elizabethan Rooms
- Kenneth Barlow (William Roache) is credited but doesn't appear.
- TV Times synopsis: In which the Street learns the secret and makes its own plans
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,740,000 homes (6th place).
|December 1965 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|