|ITV transmission date||10th January 1966 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Susan Pleat|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||5th January 1966|
|Next episode||12th January 1966|
Albert battles against kids playing on his allotment. Dave Smith goes after opening a new branch of his betting shops in Waterloo Street but loses it. He starts thinking about the Coronation Street area. Jackie entertains Ken to a meal after he tells Val he's working. She wants him to tell her about David's early football career for an article she is writing in the paper. He refuses but persuades her to take him along to an art exhibition review. Dave approaches Lionel about buying the shop. Lionel is interested. Val realises Clara Midgeley fancies Albert, to her amusement. Ena discovers Dave Smith's plans and swears to oppose it.
- Lionel Petty - Edward Evans
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Dave Smith - Reginald Marsh
- Clara Midgeley - Betty Hardy
- Jackie Marsh - Pamela Craig
- Ernie Mills - Jack Grieve
- Peter Eckersley, scriptwriter, future Granada Head of Drama and husband of Anne Reid began his tenure as producer with this episode.
- TV Times synopsis: Ena and Kenneth face the devil you know and the devil you don't
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,250,000 homes (4th place).
|January 1966 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|