Stan goes to see a hungover David and tells him the Corner Shop might not be a bad idea. Irma goes against Hilda's advice and returns to David, embarrassed at her behaviour. David apologises to Lionel for his behaviour. Jackie joins Ken when he and his pupils clear rubbish from the canal and says she'll write an article about the operation. He invites her for a drink. David changes his mind about the Corner Shop to Irma's delight. Minnie worries about her lack of money. Stan thinks he's come up on the pools not knowing Hilda has just filled out the winning numbers to check his. He runs round to the Rovers and buys drinks all round as a celebration party starts. Lionel accepts the Barlows' offer. Annie is horrified when Jack calculates that Stan has won £75,000. He cries with happiness as he breaks the news to Hilda.
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Lionel Petty - Edward Evans
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop and back room
- 17 Attlee Street - Hallway and living room
- Weatherfield Canal
- The location scenes at the Weatherfield Canal were recorded on outside broadcast cameras at the Castlefield Basin in Manchester. Jackie Marsh drives down Castle Street from Duke Street and parks on the bridge that crosses the Rochdale Canal where it joins the River Medlock. The Merchants' Warehouse adjacent to the canal stills stands, although greatly refurbished, but Jackson's Warehouse across the canal and the sloping corrugated-roof storage shed next to it have since been demolished.
- TV Times synopsis: Everything's coming up roses for Stan - and for Kenneth too?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,300,000 homes (3rd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|January 1966 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|