Albert continues to avoid Clara Midgeley. Lucille phones Concepta and says that she can't get time off to visit them. Elsie asks Jim if he's got any plans to marry her or if she'll always be "good for a giggle". Lucille tells Jack she can't go to Ireland because of work. Jim tells Elsie he'll never marry and wants to continue seeing her. She tells him it's over and throws him out. Minnie performs the opening of the auction room. Nobody is interested in buying anything. The Walkers' relief, Brenda Riley, arrives. Dennis discovers they haven't got planning permission for the auction room. Len and Jim make up. Jim is delighted to hear Brenda is the relief - she's an old girlfriend.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Jed Stone - Kenneth Cope
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Sgt Bowden - James Beck
- Clara Midgeley - Betty Hardy
- Jim Mount - Barry Keegan
- Brenda Riley - Eileen Kennally
- Elsie Tanner, Annie and Jack Walker are absent from the programme for the next four weeks returning in Episode 560 (25th April 1966) as Patricia Phoenix, Doris Speed and Arthur Leslie went on a promotional tour of Australia with executive producer H.V. Kershaw. The tour received maximum publicity when the three stars were seen off from Downing Street by Prime Minister Harold Wilson and Chancellor of the Exchequer James Callaghan who said that Pat was "the sexiest thing on tv". Many years later he confessed that the comment was made up for the reporters and he'd never actually watched the programme.
- TV Times synopsis: A test of love for Elsie and a duel of wits for Jed
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,850,000 homes (2nd place).
Ena Sharples: "Elsie Tanner's a loud-mouthed, pig-'eaded, painted tramp, wi' a bust-full o' brassiere an' nowt on top. An' with the right man on 'er arm, she'd turn into the best wife a lad could wish for."
|March 1966 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|