Ena is accused of not paying for two tins of salmon at 4/6 each. The Store Manager saw her put them in her basket. Minnie realises Ena is confused and refuses to leave her side. The police are called in and charge an upset Ena with shoplifting. Elsie's endowment policy expires and she has £50. Val persuades her to use the money to decorate. Ena makes the police search the Vestry and No.5 to prove she's not a thief. Elsie tries out different wallpapers for Val and Lucille's approval. Jed breaks the news of Ena's arrest. Ena tells Elsie that she's innocent. Jerry defends Ena when Annie and Hilda gossip about her. Ken make arrangements to take Ena to the court hearing. Elsie worries what will happen in court. Ken tells the gossips that Ena plans to plead not guilty. Minnie and Ena worry about what will happen at court.
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Jed Stone - Kenneth Cope
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Pick-a-Snip Supermarket - Manager's office
- Long-term writer Susan Pleat makes her debut on the programme with this episode.
- Ena Sharples gives her date of birth as 14th November 1899 instead of the more-established 24th November.
- TV Times synopsis: Storm clouds for Ena, a hint of spring for Elsie
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,400,000 homes (4th place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|May 1966 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|