Linda and the baby return home. Doreen has enough of being mauled by Harold Pilkington and calls him to his face, the others join in and he gives Doreen a week's notice, but she tells him she'll be leaving immediately. Linda shocks Elsie by putting the baby on a bottle. Miss Pemberton hands in her notice at Swindley's shop because she can't face working with baby linen. Christine and Dennis go out together, platonically. Emily moves her stock into Swindley's causing Miss Pemberton to walk out. She reveals she's been after Swindley since 1924. Tom packs and leaves the Street. Esther tells him she won't take him back again. Minnie tells Ena that Joe and his wife Larine wined and dined her. Esther feels alone again.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Linda Cheveski - Anne Cunningham
- Ivan Cheveski - Ernst Walder
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Christine Hardman - Christine Hargreaves
- Concepta Riley - Doreen Keogh
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Mr. Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Tom Hayes - Dudley Foster
- Michael Courtenay - John Kelly
- Harold Pilkington - Philip Anthony
- Miss Pemberton - Joan Paton
- This episode carries no director credit, either on-screen or in TV Times.
- Miss Pemberton's declaration that she has been in love with her employer, Leonard Swindley, since 1924 clashes with his birth date (established later) of 1916 as he would have been just eight in the year stated.
- TV Times: A fascinating freemasonary; a volume of unwritten rules…these are the driving forces behind this down-to-earth North Country street (This generic synopsis, based upon Tony Warren's famous memo to persuade Granada Television executives to commission the programme, did not appear in all regional editions)
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,471,000 homes (joint 4th place with Episode 59).
|July 1961 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|