Annie annoys Jack when she chats to Mrs Arkinstall on the phone about the election instead of getting his breakfast. Irma and Hilda wake up to the fact that David and Stan have not come home. They have spent the night in a barn and are threatened with trespass by farmer Mr Butterworth who sends them on their correct way. They then decide to toss a coin as to who shall tell the women a story, even if it's a downright lie. Irma and Hilda overhear them and throw a bowl of water over them. Ken agrees to write Len's election address. Ena refuses a drink on the house from Annie, seeing it as an election bribe. Jack tells Albert he's had enough of being neglected and he's going to do something about it. The caravan party try to enjoy the rest of the weekend with no gas and in complete isolation. Annie asks Ken to help her with her campaign speech. Jack rings his brother Arthur Walker. Stan leaves a gate open and a herd of cows gather around the caravan, scaring the women. They all admit defeat and pack up to go home. Jack arranges with Arthur to have the brewery summon him to look after Arthur's pub, leaving Annie on her own for the remainder of the campaign.
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens (Uncredited)
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Mr Butterworth's farm yard and barn
- TV Times synopsis: In which the campaign hots up and Jack decides he's had enough
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,800,000 homes (2nd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|August 1966 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st