The menfolk set about moving rubble aided by the police. The guard is carried from the train with fractures and cuts. The police hear there was a car under the viaduct. Jack, Ena, Elsie and Lucille are missing. Jerry crawls through the rubble and pulls PC Jimmie Conway out. He says his girlfriend Sonia Peters is under the rubble with someone else. The police bring in a power digger. Annie feels sure Jack is under the rubble. Jerry threatens a reporter when he harasses Minnie over Ena's disappearance. Elli Jane Peters, Sonia's grandmother, turns up and is taken in hand by Minnie. Five people are carried out of the wreckage in Viaduct Street. Jack and Lucille turn up to Annie's relief. David crawls under the rubble and finds Sonia. He can't tell if she's alive or not. Elsie turns up. Sonia is declared dead, Conway tries to comfort Elli. Lucille breaks down as Sonia was a school friend. David tells the other men that he's found Ena under the rubble.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Steve Tanner - Paul Maxwell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Sergeant Bowdon - James Beck
- P.C. Roberts - Joby Blanshard
- Reporter - Derrick Gilbert
- P.C. Schofield - Eric Longworth
- Jimmie Conway - Colin Edwynn
- Doctor - Paul Bacon
- Elli Jane Peters - Marion Dawson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Viaduct Street
- Ena Sharples (Violet Carson) is credited but doesn't appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Tragedy
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,900,000 homes (1st place).
- This episode was repeated on Thursday 7th May 1981 at 10.30pm as part of a week of repeats celebrating Granada's 25th anniversary. The repeat was not aired by Tyne Tees Television, Ulster Television, Anglia Television, Scottish Television, Westward Television, Channel Television or HTV Cymru although HTV West did carry the programme. This repeat was seen by 6,872,000 viewers (chart placing unknown but outside the top twenty). The other episodes repeated in the week were Episode 1 (the first episode), Episode 16 (the 1961 gas leak), Episode 375 (Emily Nugent jilts Leonard Swindley), Episode 702 (Elsie marries Steve Tanner) and Episode 923 (the coach crash in the Lake District) although these repeats were not screened in all of the ITV regions (see individual episode entries for details).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|May 1967 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st