|ITV transmission date||26th June 1968 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Script editor||Malcolm Lynch|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||24th June 1968|
|Next episode||1st July 1968|
Stan and Elsie return at 7.30am, watched by a gleeful Ena. In the Rovers, Hilda frets as to where they have got to while Annie stirs things up that something compromising is going on between the two. Stan tells Hilda they ran out of petrol and spent the night playing chuckstones. Dickie takes delivery of a swivel chair. Gary and Emily take Elsie off for another driving lesson before Hilda can catch her. Len tries to bring Maggie out of herself and makes her agree to go to the Rovers. Audrey tells Ena she's bought a wicker elephant. Dickie loves the chair but it turns out to be the Barlows' and the elephant is theirs. Ena accuses Hilda of being scared of confronting Elsie. Gary and Emily are terrified at Elsie's driving. With several drinks down her, Hilda confronts Elsie in the middle of the street as the neighbours watch. A slanging match ensues when Hilda accuses Elsie of scheming to get Stan on her own. Elsie tells her that she's not that desperate. Ken decides he'll have to sell the car to buy new furniture. Elsie crashes her car into the back of Ken's, just before someone is due to come and see it. Len moves into No.9 and takes Maggie into the Rovers. Len offers to fix Ken's bumper. Effie Spicer moves into No.4, next to Ena, who is not impressed with her airs and graces.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dickie Fleming - Nigel Humphreys
- Audrey Bright - Gillian McCann
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Mrs Spicer - Anne Dyson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- First appearance of Effie Spicer.
- Peter Dudley makes a pre-Bert Tilsley appearance as a Delivery man.
- Several location shots of the outdoor set show the scaffolding against which the frontage is erected instead of the roofs of the houses.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie takes Stan for a ride!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,950,000 homes (3rd place).
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
Hilda Ogden: "Well at least I've had the taste to stick with one man and not go chasing after every other fellah from 'ere to kingdom come."
Elsie Tanner: "I should think the reason for that is obvious."
Hilda Ogden: "What's that?"
Elsie Tanner: "Has any other fellah ever looked twice at you?"
|June 1968 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th|