Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||25th September 1968 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||23rd September 1968|
|Next episode||30th September 1968|
Maggie and Val are both nervous of Ena's next move. Len offers to talk to Steve but Elsie stops him. Dot is put out when Gregg can't take her out. Gary wants to avoid meeting Steve to avoid paying him the gambling debts he owes him. Spurred on by the interest the yanks are taking in some of the women in the street, Hilda nags Stan for not doing the same with her. Emily helps out at St. Mary's nursery. Reverend James asks her to return later as he has a business proposition to put to her. Stan pays for some flowers to be sent to Hilda to make the peace. Ena arrives at the Corner Shop determined to have it out with Maggie. She also accuses Val of taking a poor pensioner's job. They find out from Emily that Ena told the vicar that the shop was too much for her feet. Hilda thinks one of the yanks sent her the flowers. Reverend James asks Emily to be his assistant at the nursery. Elsie can't decide what to do about Steve. Val silences Ena when she tells her that she knows about her feet. Elsie prepares herself to tell Steve 'no' for the last time. In the taxi she hears over the radio that Len is at Steve's. She asks the taxi to take her home. Hilda fails to make Stan jealous about the flowers. The police arrive to tell Elsie that Steve is dead.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Dave Smith - Reginald Marsh
- Gregg Flint - Bill Nagy (Credited as "Greg Flint")
- Dot Greenhalgh - Joan Francis
- Gary Strauss - Callen Angelo
- Joe Donelli - Shane Rimmer
- Vicar - Eric Dodson
- Taxi Driver - Bill Dean
- Policeman - Colin Edwynn
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- The Pink Posy
- Jackson's Chip Shop
- St. Mary's Church nursery
- This episode features the off-screen death of Steve Tanner. Paul Maxwell had made his last appearance as the character in Episode 734 (27th December 1967).
- The children playing Peter and Susan Barlow are uncredited.
- The taxi controller's voice is uncredited.
- TV Times synopsis: The final showdown for Elsie
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,400,000 homes (1st place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|September 1968 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|