|ITV transmission date||16th October 1961 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Vince Powell|
|Previous episode||11th October 1961|
|Next episode||18th October 1961|
Swindley organises the evening's trip to the Blackpool illuminations. Doreen agrees to become the new barmaid and gives her notice in to Swindley. Two young lads and clerks from the Town Hall, Phil Braithwaite and Norman Dobson, arrive looking for digs in the area. Jack, Ena, Minnie, Martha, Albert, Ken, Val, Frank, Christine, Dennis, Jed, Jean, Elsie, Bill, Alf, Doreen, Swindley and Emily go to Blackpool. Brian looks after Esther, in bed with flu. Elsie and Bill become brazen in their affair. The coach leaves with Ena still having her palm read by a Fortune Teller.
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Valerie Tatlock - Anne Reid
- Doreen - Angela Crow
- Jed Stone - Kenneth Cope
- Christine Hardman - Christine Hargreaves
- Jean Stark - Renny Lister
- Bill Gregory - Jack Watson
- Coach Driver - Frank Pettitt
- Brian Foley - Denis Holmes
- Phil Braithwaite - Brian Dean
- Norman Dobson - Alan Holden
- Fortune Teller - Julie Perry
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 5 Coronation Street - Esther's bedroom
- Corner Shop
- Blackpool - Promenade, Pier
- Castle Hotel - Lounge Bar
- No cast members were filmed in Blackpool for this episode. Back-projection was used for scenes in the coach and on the pier.
- In real-life, the 1961 Blackpool illuminations had been switched on by Violet Carson, watched by other members of the cast, on 8th September.
- TV Times synopsis: The boys and girls of Coronation Street and the members of the Over 60s Club get together for a coach trip to the bright lights of Blackpool. But a familiar figure has an adventure the stars didn't foretell.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,904,000 homes (3rd place).
- This episode was included on the 1961 disc of the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The 1960s, released on 31st July 2006.
- It is also available on disc 1 of the Network DVD collection Jack Rosenthal at ITV released on 1st June 2007.
|October 1961 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|