Hilda offers to work on Len to reduce his resistance but Annie turns down the kind offer as Elsie is on the case. At the Robin Hood club Charlie plays the score of Ena's new tune. It turns out to be Onward Christian Soldiers. Mickie Malone is not pleased and Stan runs for it. The bank refuses Ken a loan as they have no confidence in a school teacher knowing how to run a hair salon. Stan is forced to give Ena £10 for Dreaming Time. Elsie weakens Len but Bernard interrupts, asking for his dinner. Len sends him away. The menfolk work out what Elsie is up to and send Bernard back to No. 9. Len realises what Elsie is up to himself. Bernard sneaks in the back door and refuses to leave, so Elsie does. Ken asks Dave Smith for a loan. The men begin to weaken when they taste Albert’s awful potato pie. He’s insulted and tells them they’re on their own from now on. The women also start to weaken but worry how to tell Annie. Dave refuses to give Ken a loan so he takes it out of the money from a maturing insurance policy. The football bus is moved to Bessie Street. Len claims it was due to him and Annie also claims victory but Ena tells them that it’s because Coronation Street is too narrow according to a bus driver she spoke to. Bernard hears from Sandra that Ray will be back next week. Alan rings Len and tells him that he’s sold the salon. Ken sends his cheque off for the same.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Dickie Fleming - Nigel Humphreys
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Bernard Butler - Gorden Kaye
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Cyril Turpin - William Moore
- Audrey Fleming - Gillian McCann
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen, front room, hallway and back yard
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room, hallway and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Robin Hood club - Back room
- June Howson took over the duties of producer after this episode. H.V. Kershaw continued in his role of executive producer but was uncredited.
- The end credits are left-justified over a high-level tracking shot of Ken and Val Barlow walking from the post box to the Rovers Return Inn. It ends on shot of the Coronation Street sign on the front wall of the Rovers which was rarely to be seen on the Grape Street set.
- TV Times synopsis: In which Stan faces the music.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,250,000 homes (3rd place).
|March 1970 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|