|ITV transmission date||4th May 1970 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||29th April 1970|
|Next episode||6th May 1970|
Ena and Minnie see that Dickie looks depressed. Stan tells Maggie he'd like to buy a part of the shop business for Irma but not to say anything. Maggie asks for time to think about it. Ena finds out from Dickie that Audrey has left him and asks to be told the full story. Audrey visits her friend Lorna Smeaton and asks to stay with her. Betty worries that with Irma's feet under the table the Ogdens will take over, pushing out her and Cyril. Maggie tells her she needs the £600 for an accountancy course that Gordon wants to sign up to. Hilda suspects Stan is up to something with the Gazette money. Lucille makes pointed comments to Ray and Sandra about the wedding arrangements. Lorna calls round on Dickie and tells him where Audrey is. Ena tells him to fetch his wife home. Dickie calls round the next day but Audrey refuses to return. It's Lucille's 21st birthday but she isn't interested although Annie insists on having a party. Irma tells Annie that the last thing she'd want would be to return to the corner shop. Maggie agrees to the deal. Stan asks her to keep the matter quiet until the paperwork is signed. While Ena is at the yard, Audrey phones Ray and they plan a meeting in an hour. Ena tells him not to make an even bigger mess of things.
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Dickie Fleming - Nigel Humphreys
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Audrey Fleming - Gillian McCann
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Sandra Butler - Patricia Fuller
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Builder's Yard and office
- Lorna Smeaton's house - Living room
- Phone box
- The sequences on the Grape Street set were OB recorded while the scenes in Lorna Smeaton's house and inside the phone box were recorded in studio.
- TV Times synopsis: Dickie faces a crisis, and Stan buys a future for an unsuspecting Irma.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,650,000 homes (3rd place).
Annie Walker: "A husband's role in marriage is merely as provider. All the real authority is the woman's - the hand that rocks the cradle."
|May 1970 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th|