Rupert bites Elsie and is returned to Lenny Phillips. Annie wants Concepta back behind the bar permanently. With the shop losing money, Swindley starts a credit scheme with the slogan "credit with respectability". Ken doesn't go into work but hides his fact from Frank. Dennis offers to pay for the damages at the Rovers. Jack tells him not to bother though when Dennis lifts the bar flap and smashes yet more glasses, the Walkers bill him half a crown for each one. Christine thinks Swindley is on a hiding to nothing. Ken admits to Esther that he's packed in his job and plans to tell Frank tonight. He's prepared to take any job to tide him over until teaching vacancies open next term. Annie thinks about having a call box in the bar after the modernisation as she's weary of Dennis and his ilk going through to the back to use their phone. Ken asks the Walkers for a temporary job at the Rovers. Jack doesn't think he'd fit in but Annie thinks he'd complement the new Rovers well. Swindley is alarmed when Emily orders 27 see-through nighties for the shop. Despite his misgivings, they prove popular. Ken asks Dennis for a job at the Orinoco. Jack tells Frank that they can't employ Ken, thereby revealing him that his son is jobless.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Linda Cheveski - Anne Cunningham
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Christine Hardman - Christine Hargreaves
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Swindley's Draperies
- Annie states that she and Jack were married at Mawdsley Street Church on 22nd July 1933, instead of the later established Mount Zion Baptist Chapel on 23rd October 1937.
- TV Times synopsis: Mr. Swindley has great ideas for Swindley's Draperies, and Miss Nugent has prospects ahead. Down the Street Kenneth Barlow comes to another big decision, and in the Rover's Return Jack Walker lets out a secret by mistake.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,263,000 homes (3rd place).
|November 1961 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|