Hilda rushes to tell Ena that the Howards have returned from honeymoon in Paris but she already knows, saying that they arrived at 2.00am in Alan's new white Mercedes. Alan thinks Sandra is in the way at No.11. Ray calls on Alan to collect payment on his outstanding invoice. Alan tells him he'll see him at 12.30pm in the Rovers. Emily is short-handed in the pub but Hilda refuses to help her as Stan is taking her to Belle Vue. Ray agrees to take Irma out for a drink that night. Ena and Minnie see that someone has broken into the Victoria Street Mission, leaving marks on the floor and toffee papers around but stealing nothing. Stan cancels on taking Hilda out as he has no money. Ray meets Alan and demands £350 immediately. Stan offers his services behind the bar to Emily and she accepts. Ray pressures Alan into writing a cheque. Alan gets annoyed when Sandra is under their feet again and suggests to Elsie that she should leave. Stan begins his shift and immediately starts knocking back the slops. A young boy, Tony Parsons, breaks into the Mission and starts playing on the harmonium. Ena is in wait and catches him. Stan is too generous and buys Hilda and Albert drinks. He also has several pints for himself. Emily starts to get concerned. Ena makes Tony play the harmonium to prove his story that that was the only reason why he broke in. She is staggered when he plays Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring note perfect. Ray brings Ken along to join him, Irma and Bet in the Rovers. Stan feigns a bad back and stops work. Overall, he owes Emily six shillings for drinks consumed. Sandra takes his place behind the bar. Tony tells Ena his grandma taught him to play but his mum doesn't believe in encouraging him. Ena is determined to talk to her.
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Sandra Butler - Patricia Fuller
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Victoria Street
- Victoria Street Mission - Main hall, exterior and adjoining ginnel
- TV Times synopsis: The honeymooners return - and a debt is "settled".
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,000,000 homes (2nd place).
|August 1970 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|