Ena receives a favourable letter from the music college. Elsie is amazed when Alan still wants to buy the house in Bramhall and shocked at the range of his failing business interests. Emily snaps at Irma when she's unsympathetic about Alan's business problems. Annie is upset to hear that Dave Smith has been gossiping with Sir Frank Ridley about what he would do with the Rovers if he ever bought it. Alan tells his creditors that he's arranged a meeting in the Mechanics Hall in Tufbury Street. Len is at odds with Piggott and the others over their rapacious attitude towards Alan. Elsie and Alan row when she accuses him of using her for her money. Ena collects Tony Parsons from school and takes him to see Mr Telford at the college. Elsie loses her temper at Sandra. Maggie gives Elsie a sympathetic hearing and cheers her up. Tony's playing impresses Telford. Alan and Elsie are reconciled. Tony passes and Ena discovers there is a chance of a scholarship. They celebrate with Ken and Emily. Sandra is unimpressed with Elsie's apology. Alan's creditors gather in the Rovers prior to the meeting. Elsie wishes him luck as he sets off.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Sandra Butler - Patricia Fuller
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Willie Piggott - George A. Cooper
- Tony Parsons - David Hill
- Sid Lambert - Graham Rigby
- Joe Makinson - Brian Rawlinson
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Camera Shop Flat - Living room/kitchen
- Street and school yard
- Music college - Corridor and music room
- The part of Mr Telford was a non-speaking one and therefore uncredited.
- TV Times synopsis: Testing times for Alan and Tony.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,700,000 homes (2nd place).
Ena Sharples: "I'm a professional busybody and proud of it."
|August 1970 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|