Max Smith appeared on Coronation Street in five roles:
- Arnie Tossell, a drunken man who was ejected from the Rovers by Fred Gee in March 1976
- Alec Young, who somewhat ironically, was a friend of Fred Gee in January 1979
- Ron Bell, a potential purchaser of No.13 when the Ogdens considered selling their house in December 1981
- Keith, a friend of Don Brennan's who attended his marriage to Ivy Tilsley in June 1988
- The Prison Officer that jailbird Terry Duckworth was handcuffed to at his wedding to Lisa Horton in May 1992. He returned to the role nine months later in February 1993 when he accompanied Terry from Strangeways Jail to Weatherfield General where Lisa lay dying, having been struck down by a car driven by John Hargreaves.
He has played in a number of television series since the mid-1970s including Play for Today, Flambards, Strangers, Gambling Man and Where the Heart Is. On film, he was in the highly successful 1996 film Brassed Off.