|Pardon the Expression|
|Episode||The Brain Drain|
|ITV broadcast date||18th August 1965 (Wednesday)|
|Previous episode||The Old One-Two|
|Next episode||The Economy Drive|
This IQ of the Dobson and Hawks' salesgirls leaves much to be desired. And the girls are just not interested in Mr Swindley's proposition of night school current affairs. But Swindley finds the answer - catch them before they leave school. Swindley tries to induce the Brookfield High School girls to join Dobson and Hawks when he attends their careers day (or "slave auction" as Headmistress Miss Buxton refers to it) but the attractions of the store cannot compete with the multinational companies also in attendance and Swindley only manages to bag one recruit - a bright girl called Mary. This however is one more than expected so Mr Parbold is well pleased with the result.
- Beryl - Helen Cotterill
- Miss Buxton - Judith Furse
- Mr Bentley - Geoffrey Palmer
- Mr Maxwell - Jack Austin
- Mary - Penny Ryder
- This episode was transmitted on Thursday 19th August at 7.00pm by both Scottish Television and Border Television and on Thursday 23rd September at 7.30pm by Grampian Television. Along with the rest of the series, the episode was not transmitted by Westward Television, Channel Television or the Teledu Cymru service of Television Wales and the West.
- This was the final episode of the programme's first season.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,660,000 homes (13th place).