Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Pardon the Expression|
|Episode||The First Day|
|ITV broadcast date||2nd June 1965 (Wednesday)|
|Writer||Harry Driver and Jack Rosenthal|
|Next episode||The Headmistress|
Leonard Swindley starts his new job as Assistant Manager at Dobson and Hawks Department Store. He soon becomes attached to his job in more ways than one when store boss Ernest Parbold sends him to the bank to deposit his specimen signature and collect some change. However when he reaches the bank he realises that he has lost the key to the handcuffs for the money bag he is carrying. The staff back at the store, who have instantly taken to the new man, try to protect him from the wrath of Parbold who, they will feel sure, will sack Swindley for displaying such incompetence on his first day. The situation is solved when Swindley finds that the key has dropped through a hole in his pocket and into the lining of his jacket. He completes his transaction at the bank and makes it back for a meeting with Parbold just in time.
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Ernest Parbold - Paul Dawkins
- Miss Sinclair - Joy Stewart
- Mrs Edgeley - Betty Driver
- Pam Plummer - Barbara Young
- Josie Jackson - Yvonne Antrobus
- Workman - Ivor Salter
- Mavis Foster - Holly Doone
- 1st Teller - Roy Maxwell
- This episode was transmitted at 9.10pm on 2nd June by both Tyne Tees Television and Grampian Television and on Thursday 17th June at 7.00pm by both Scottish Television and Border Television. Along with the rest of the series, the episode was not transmitted by Westward Television, Channel Television or the Teledu Cymru service of Television Wales and the West.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,400,000 homes (17th place).