Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Pardon the Expression|
|Episode||The Sailor Home From The Sea|
|ITV broadcast date||9th May 1966 (Monday)|
|Previous episode||The Ghost of Batsworth Castle Walks Again|
|Next episode||How to Succeed in Business Without Really Frying|
Leonard Swindley has never been allowed to forget that Leading Seaman Roger Bell once saved his life, albeit from the sinking of a vessel on the boating lake at Skegness, but he sets out to repay the debt by putting up with one of his visits every five years or so. Mr Swindley has just been installed in Dobson and Hawks' show-flat for the purpose of displaying their home furnishings when Bell decides to pay him the latest visit. With him comes trouble: Brigadier Hawk is on his way to inspect the flat when a voluptuous Mrs Joan Bell arrives to stay with her husband. Swindley worries when a second, older Mrs Shirley Bell turns up - with the Brigadier due any minute. Mr Hunt is made aware of the problem and joins in Swindley's efforts to get the Brigadier out of the flat before the two women (who are happily flitting from bedrooms to kitchen to bathroom) actually catch sight of each other. Things get even more complicated though when a third Mrs Bell - the French Michele – arrives at the door. Mr Hunt manages to get the Brigadier away before any real harm is done and before Roger arrives back and realises that his bigamous game is up. He escapes using the flat balcony as Miss Sinclair arrives to be taken out for dinner by him and the three women all suddenly meet and realise that they have been duped.
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Wally Hunt - Robert Dorning
- Miss Sinclair - Joy Stewart
- Mrs Edgeley - Betty Driver
- Brigadier Hawk - Anthony Sharp
- Roger Bell - George Moon
- Mrs Joan Bell - Barbara Mitchell
- Mrs Shirley Bell - Jessie Evans
- Mrs Michele Bell - Gita Denise
- This longer than average episode featured no cast or production credits.
- Eight years before appearing in the regular role of Megan Hopkins in Coronation Street Jessie Evans appears as Shirley, the second of Leading Seaman Bell's three wives.
- This episode was transmitted on Thursday 12th May at 6.30pm by Television Wales and the West and on Friday 13th May at 9.10pm by Scottish Television. Border Television and Tyne Tees Television did not transmit the episode and along with the rest of the second season the episode was not transmitted by Westward Television, Ulster Television, Channel Television or the Teledu Cymru service of Television Wales and the West either.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,950,000 homes (5th place).
This episode was included in Network DVD collection Pardon the Expression - The Complete Second Series, released on 24th August, 2009.