Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Pardon the Expression|
|Episode||The Trouble With Ada|
|ITV broadcast date||16th June 1965 (Wednesday)|
|Writer||Harry Driver and Jack Rosenthal|
|Previous episode||The Headmistress|
|Next episode||The Mannequin Parade|
Mr. Parbold is told by Head Office that his branch of Dobson and Hawkes is one and a third head overstaffed and he happily delegates the task of correcting this to Leonard Swindley. Keen to avoid getting rid of the last person to join the company – namely himself – he takes up Miss Sinclair's suggestion to "early retire" the elderly and lazy cleaner Ada Hadfield. But he has not reckoned on the fact that Ada looks on her work as her social life and is so bitterly upset at her dismissal that the counter staff, led by a militant Pam Plummer, goes on strike. The situation is solved by a suggestion from Mrs Edgeley: Swindley employs Ada as his own cleaner, although she prefers to be called his "housekeeper" and wants a pound a week more than she gets at the store.
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Ernest Parbold - Paul Dawkins
- Miss Sinclair - Joy Stewart
- Mrs Edgeley - Betty Driver
- Pam Plummer - Barbara Young
- Mavis Foster - Holly Doone
- Woman customer - Elsie Woodhouse
- Ada Hadfield - Betty Hardy
- Hilda Norton - Helen Fraser
- This episode was transmitted at 9.10pm on 16th June by both Tyne Tees Television and Grampian Television and on Thursday 2nd September at 7.00pm by both Scottish Television and Border Television (after they had transmitted the rest of the season). Along with the rest of the series, the episode was not transmitted by Westward Television, Channel Television or the Teledu Cymru service of Television Wales and the West.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,120,000 homes (6th place).