|Pardon the Expression|
|ITV broadcast date||7th July 1965 (Wednesday)|
|Previous episode||The Dance|
|Next episode||The Pensioner|
Mr Swindley becomes a father, but only for the day. Sylvia Chadwick of the sock department at Dobson and Hawks is getting married and there is nobody to give the bride away as her parents had previously emigrated to Australia. Swindley is equal to the solemn occasion. The smug smile fades when he discovers from Mr. Parbold that there is another job for the father of the bride - a quiet word about the facts of life. His little talk with Sylvia and her intended Wilf Bundy goes wrong however when the couple have a furious row about the name they will give to their first child. They are reconciled in time for the wedding and go off on their honeymoon - leaving Swindley with Sylvia's awkward Grandma and her sheep's head broth for company.
- Barbara - April Wilding
- Sylvia - Patricia Clapton
- Grandma - Gretchen Franklin
- Wilf - Leslie Lawton
- Man at Wedding - Bill Waddington
- Bill Waddington appears in the walk-on part of a man at the wedding, eighteen years before his debut as Percy Sugden in Coronation Street.
- This episode was transmitted at 9.10pm on 7th July by Grampian Television and on Thursday 8th July at 7.00pm by both Scottish Television and Border Television. Along with the rest of the series, the episode was not transmitted by Westward Television, Channel Television or the Teledu Cymru service of Television Wales and the West.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,120,000 homes (6th place).